Monday, November 28, 2011

Baptisms, captain cluck, Thanksgiving, rise and fall, hookups in hammanskraal, JW? Step into the thunderdome

First and foremost. We baptized! Not just any baptisms, but converts.... I mean CONVERTS. Chiedza is seriously one of the most prepared 10 year olds ever. We tracted into her and her mom. Her mom was baptized 4 years ago and lost contact with the church and Chiedza knew like everything. You would think she was like a member for 20 years. She is super shy but she just stood up and smiled and said "I'm so happy amen" Mpho Masia... man what to say about this guy. This is the text we got from him last night " Elders Robinson & Bangani. Thank you for coming into my life and for showing me the way. I promise to be humble, respect, and more importantly keep the Lord's commandments. Also to follow the Church's doctrine. May God always bless you is my prayer. Mpho" When he bore his testimony he basically said this "I don't care if all of you fall away I will NEVER leave this. I owe it to my elders, my prophet, and my God. I am so thankful to my father in heaven, and I will not let you down."

So needless to say he's branch president material and just about the most prepared person ever. I love this work.

Monday we had a missionary thanksgiving and killed some chickens and made potatoes. Captain cluck and Sara were there names and they were delicious. It was way fun there were 10 of us all together and it was just like 10 super good friends and felt like family. Elder Samoela from Madagascar thought thanksgiving is basically the sweetest thing ever and started singing the star spangled banner. I laughed like crazy.

Unfortunately this week we dropped a lot of people, but we need to focus on those who are ready. We continue to teach boldly and clearly and are still finding ridiculous success. Here are two examples....

Yesterday we taught the Mfumadi family of 11 and they had a ton of questions about the Book of Mormon. So we taught the restoration and how the apostasy happened and how today we have no remnant church. They tried to justify it where in revelation it mentions the 7 churches, but we shut that down, and went to some apostasy scriptures. We testified and then the son Thapelo got it "you mean this is the only church of Jesus Christ and all the others aren't?" Yep.... that's exactly what we mean. The mother was deeply offended so we bore testimony and said we aren't saying you are wrong or that you are lost. But this is the truth and you can know it.... Well we'll see what happens Wednesday night.

Also we taught a Jehovahs witness. I love... absolutely love confounding those guys. We sat down and asked if we could begin with a prayer. "Which God will you pray too? I pray to Jehovah..." Well we pray to God in the name of Jesus Christ. "what does Jehovah mean" Sir we know you're a Jehovah's witness... we aren't here to argue... "God is Jehovah!"... No its Jesus Christ... no no its God... Yes Yes its Christ. Then I said this "sir we can shut that down with the scriptures but we aren't here to argue, we're here to teach what we know is true." he said "prove it".... Oh YES.... Throughout my mission I was taught not to bash and I usually don't unless people literally ask for it. so in the words of Elder Holland "Never bash... but if you do... make sure you win" So it was about a 10 minute fire storm of scriptures and testimony and he simply stood up and left. Touchdown Elders... Game... Elders....

Both of these remind me of a quote by Brigham Young "He that takes offense when none is intended is a fool, he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." We don't try to offend people, we teach the truth. the choice is then theirs. But this is true no doubt about it.

So on kind of a funny note... Sister Lebo is a single sister and we meet in her house for church. One month ago she basically told us she wasn't on the dating market. We told her Mpho was perfect for her and she just laughed and kinda pushed us away... Well they went out this week, she spoke at his baptism, they text each other every day, and even her son is saying I hate you guys because we told him this would happen... its inevitable. But in the end all it will do is build the branch and get them both to the temple. Matchmaking haha I've only done it one other time on my mission... but man its sweet haha.

So to conclude its been one awesome week. and this week looks like just more awesome. Uncle Weston I miss you too Bless those rains down in Africa.

Stay well, enjoy the leftovers, happy December in 2 days, Rabani Sindhle

Elder Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment