Sunday, August 15, 2010

3ish Weeks in Afrika 8/10/10

3ish weeks in Afrika‏
8/10/10

So who wants to hear my first incredible mission story?!?!?! well you're going to have to wait because I have some other things to talk about first. So one South Africa is seriously lacking in a few major areas of my food pyramid. One, hot sauce it is like 100 rand for the tiniest bottle, two tortilla chips are non existent, and three powerade mix. This is honestly all I want for Christmas haha ooh and perhaps some tortillas. I never really noticed how much the southwest rubbed off on me. anywho the mission work is awesome like I seriously love it. Our days are almost always full of appointments, trainings, or tracting which is just awesome. Its really funny because I think that everyone out here has a funny accent so I laugh when people talk but then they all are like your accent is crazy where are you from and then I say Utah and they are like "What the heck are you doing here?" Spreading the Gospel and Messin Stuff up. that is what I'm doing. haha just kidding just a lot of hard work and prayers. So I can finally pronounce all of the Zulu alphabet and am learning a bit of conversation now but it is still so crazy. Afrikaans is like second nature to me I can basically read it perfect and it is seriously so similar to German. Keate would be proud I actually taught an Afrikaans speaking family in German so that was sweet the Van Der Westheiyzens are seriously awesome.

Oh sorry this letter is on tuesday. Yesterday was national womens day and everything was closed so today is kind of a half p day. Holidays are seriously so random out here like all of a sudden like two days before they are like oh by the way... Monday is such and such day. I kinda wish America did that but then again nothing would ever get done haha. So we are finding new people and this one guy Nigel was interested so we drove for like an hour to get to this address and guess what? it was an adult shop so we were like DANGER ZONE um we can't come in lets teach you on the street. He works there but is really receptive and looking for a new job so hopefully that works out. But he honestly needs this to survive so hopefully everything works out....

Ok I can't hold it in any longer. AWESOME missionary story. So tuesday was my first time driving and honestly it was nothin motorcycle was the perfect preparation for the cars out here. Except roundabouts are still scary as heck. anyway so we were driving in Boksburg when we started to hear a funny noise and instantly I thought. Fan belt or timing belt. I was totally right... thanks dad... and we were like in the straight up ghetto with no lights on so it was a little sketchy but honestly Elder Nelson and I are pretty flippin gnarly I don't think anyone really wants to mess with us. In fact... other random story we passed this gang of like 10 14 year olds and they were like hey this is our turf and I was just thinking like bring it and then they saw me and they were like never mind haha... Awesome. So anyway are car the fabulous chevy aveo was making a terrible noise and we needed to get home so we took it super slow and got home. The next morning we took it to the dealership and they were like yeah its your timing belt and I was like sweet I rock. totally called that. and then they were like yeah... you can't drive this. So that sucked. So without bikes, or car, and 5 appointments totally spread acrossed our area we began to walk. Here begins Operation Dirtbag as we named it.

So we got back to the flat and carbo loaded 2 plates of rice half a loaf of bread and two chicken breasts later and we were ready to roll. We assumed it would be about 20 kilometers and little did we know how wrong we were. So we walked to Actonville and Wattville which are about 10k's away and taught a 20 minute lesson to Lithewe a recent convert we then had to try to walk all the way to Crystal park which turns out is like 25 kilometers away so we walked. and walked. and walked. and walked. and about 7 k's away they called and cancelled. so we were already late for two appointments and just decided to cancel them. Then all that was left were the Mikhe's. We promised to A be on time and B cook them an american dinner for our next lesson so we were like. boom lets do it. So we walked all the way back to our flat in lakeside and got everything so far about 32 k's on the day. We were so tired, chafed, and blistered and elder Nelson was seriously bummin. He was like we're gonna go walk in the dark and get killed. So I was like. Alright elder Robinson... Lets pray and start tellin jokes, crazy stories and anything to lighten the mood. so I did. I told the story of the gayest night of my life. TPing thomas' house 4 nights in a row, and honestly anything. And you know what we made it there in no time, safely, and on time.

So then the lesson began I had recently been praying to get the flow of lessons a little better and to teach better and guess what. Elder Nelson got a phone call and left me to teach. I was trippin out. anyway we were planning on teaching Ether 12 and that morning I had studied it. And The spirit took over and I rocked it like Mathius, Shyleen, Fortunate... the lady I confirmed, Tinashe, and Abigayl were all feeling it so hard core I felt it so hard core it was just awesome. Fortunate was the only member the others are all non members. Just as I wrapped up. Elder Nelson came back with the Wittwers who were there to give us a ride home. HALLELIJAH prayers are answered. I love the Wittwers seriously so much they are the bomb... anyway so the best part after the awesome lesson and the fact that we didn't have to walk home... We commited all 4 of them... Mathius, Tinashe, Shyleen, and Abigayl to be baptized in September!!!!!! and They all came to church!!!! so long story short... We walked 36 k's or almost 21 miles got bailed on, taught a 20 minute lesson, then rocked another lesson and got BAPTISMAL commitment baby! So freaking awesome I got home and seriously ate pillow after praying it up and woke up with the stiffest legs ever but it was just awesome. Like I felt like renting my coat just like in the scriptures but I decided to wait until they get baptized haha.

As the week went on we got some bikes and were able to get around more. Taught some awesome lessons and grew as a companionship which always rocks. and I've seriously rode like 100 miles this week to so my quads are looking pretty ripped to say the least haha. And we should have our car back tomorrow.

Also the Wittwers let us borrow their car a ton too for long appointments. Ah they are the best I'm totally making them steak dinner in like a week when this is all done. So pretty much The gospel rocks, missionary work rocks, my legs and butt hurt so bad, but everything is incredible. Paul and Alvira are still totally awesome and KJ and Ronald are my Umfanis I love it hear and love more and more people I teach everyday. this work is the shiz seriously.

A scripture for the week for all of you is Alma 18 it talks about the Spirit, Chopping off arms, dudes passing out, and is just incredible.(18 Now when the king had heard these words, he marveled again, for he beheld that Ammon could adiscern his thoughts; but notwithstanding this, king Lamoni did open his mouth, and said unto him: Who art thou? Art thou that Great Spirit, who bknows all things?
19 Ammon answered and said unto him: I am not.
20 And the king said: How knowest thou the thoughts of my heart? Thou mayest speak boldly, and tell me concerning these things; and also tell me by what power ye slew and smote off the arms of my brethren that scattered my flocks—
21 And now, aif thou wilt tell me concerning these things, whatsoever thou desirest I will give unto thee; and if it were needed, I would guard thee with my armies; but I know that thou art more powerful than all they; nevertheless, whatsoever thou desirest of me I will grant it unto thee.)

I still have crazy dreams and talk in my sleep a lot. the best one as of late was waking up and thinking I was in a laundramat meeting my new companion who had no legs... totally awesome. anyway awesome week

We're starting some new training and stuff and its awesome to always be able to learn more and not settle for Plateauing gotta keep working hard and digging deep. I also got to see my boy elder williams. turns out he is in Benoni to and we're going to play soccer 3 times a week in the mornings just awesome. I also got to see Elder Alder, "the crawfish" or Elder Crawford, and some other MTC buds except I still didn't get to see Elder Yugawa which was a bit of a bummer but everything is still awesome.

Can't wait to keep working and all the crazy to come... I love hearing about back home and dear elder letters are free out here so that's nice. I love you all, keep it real, pray for Africa, Pray for missionaries, and pray for yourselves God will hook you up...

Sala Kahle mi Umfanis and however you say sisters. Nkosi loves you.

Elder Raging Lion Robinson... Boom Shaka Laka.





No comments:

Post a Comment